Tuesday, September 1, 2009

School Days, School Days, Good Old Golden Rule Days

And so I realize that I am definitely not too cool for school. So yesterday, I went to sort out the whole re-admission thing that had been holding me back.

As you might remember from this post, I was dismissed as a student for "failing to maintain an adequate GPA". Well. I wrote a letter that same day, mailed it in, called several times, remailed the letter, and waited to hear back.

May.
June.
July.
August.

And still no word from the school. So i decided it was time to head down in person and settle a few scores.

Now I have learned from working in the hotel industry that if you feel that you are right, and you are angry enough about it, you will come to find that most people don't value their job enough to say no, and that most will give in to your harassment. So armed with this knowledge and the support of my friends, (okay well, actually, my roommate bet against my persuasive abilities but that's fine) I marched down to Salem State to have a few words with the registrar. Except I actually drove. But you get the metaphor right? Good.

So into the college I marched. Except, in reality, I walked at a leisurely pace through the door. I told the registrar my issues, how many times I had called, the letters I had sent, and all the difficulty that Salem State College had caused me, and how it ruined my summer vacation and that because of this I now had to have an ulcer removed. Except i didn't say I had to get an ulcer removed, only because I didn't have an ulcer removed.

The registrar told me that I was readmitted in late June.

Late. June.
LATE JUNE!!

At which point I happily tell her how great it would have been to be notified, to not have my online account locked out and delted, and to not have debt collectors calling about my student loans.

Thank You Salem State!

And so I registered, leaving me with just today before classes begin... but I'm not worried. I always go into things at the last minute and ill prepared, and my intuition hasn't failed me just yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah I had a similar problem this semester. Congrats on getting back into SSC! Hopefully both of us can have a better go at it! lol

Vanessa said...

Congrats on getting back into Salem State, David! You can do it this time! You can, you can!