Sunday, September 6, 2009

Shouts Into The Abyss

It's strange really. Most of the time you can't get me to shut up about myself.

One would think I have exhausted all outlets of communication. I meet new people. I hold them hostage telling them about myself. I talk on the phone. I write expressive music. I sing. I play piano.

But I saw that a few people I knew were blogging. The whole idea seemed interesting, but I looked at it from afar. I knew that no one would be interested in anything I had to say, and that people who didn't know me wouldn't bother to read. As of now I do have a few off and on followers, but for the most part the subtitle is correct.

Shouting into the abyss is a phrase I have always found interesting. Something that is so vain, and yet, we do it anyways. I realize that by writing this blog I am in fact, the proverbial tree that falls in the forest. If no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

And yet for me, in the blog posts I write, in the songs I compose, it is more often than not I am trying, in some way, to strike some silent interior chord. In a sense, I blog to converse with my readers. If they exist. But in another sense, I am conversing with myself. No, not in a creepy introverted "I have no friends" sort of way, but if only because more often than not, I am the one talking.

I think it is a wise thing to listen. Not only to others, but to yourself as well.

1 comment:

Thera said...

I love you. I'll continue to listen.
That's the interesting thing about blogs. It's not like a diary where the author knows no one else will read it. I like to see what people pick and choose to write about in blogs. Like when you did the post birthday hike blog. You touched on things that I hadn't been considering on that same hike. And we didn't talk about it or anything either. But I really enjoyed your take on the flower.