Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Interior Journies (Subtitle: Happy Birthday Thera)

So I awoke yesterday morning and had just finished putting my pants on when Thera (my girlfriend, just in case you are a stalker who doesn't actually know me...) knocked on my door. Today is Thera's birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!) and so yesterday we went out on a hike and a picnic to Diana's Bath, a 45 minute drive from my place to North Conway.



It's a beatiful hike, short, easy, and with a sense of accomplishment at the end. Personally I would recommend it for anyone who likes nature but doesn't want to get dirty (AKA Thera...) and just look at what awaits you at the top!

The falls are beatiful, and if you ask me, it's the cleanest water I've ever seen in nature (I drank from it, Thera didn't.) it's used as a public water supply even! We were able to stop and eat a picnic lunch and I smoked a clove cigarette and life was good and Thera rolled her eyes.

I wanted to continue on the hike past the waterfall and trace it to it's source... but this never happened because Thera got miserable and stubborn when we lost the trail. Pssh... women. So we ended up going back. All other things aside though, if you are ever in North Conway for vacation, go on this trip. And if you are lazy and don't want to look up directions, you can find them here.

And just a disclaimer: if you are a woman or if you are another species of weak mindedness... you can stop at the waterfall and turn around, and it's still very satisfying. Bring a picnic lunch. And no, I'm not a chauvinist.


Which brings me to my next point. I find hiking to be as much an interior journey as it is a physical one. There is something about the quiet of nature that leads us to introspection and reflection. You can learn alot about yourself just by going for a walk in the woods. Trust me. Ralph Waldo Emerson himself once said:

"Do not follow where the path may lead, instead choose your own path and leave a trail"

I love that quote. Thera not so much. I don't think she likes walking through mud in ballet shoes. Why she wore them, I'll never know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha this is hilarious David. And to clarify, I like the Emerson quote. I just didn't want us to get lost or eaten by a bear.
:)
<3