Sunday, November 1, 2009

Guest Services, How may I Help You?

BACKGROUND: I work at a hotel called the Sheraton Ferncroft with an attached water resort called the Coco Key Water Resort. On the Water Resort's website, the Hotel's main line is given. This dialogue is an ACTUAL phone call I recieved.

Me: Thank you for calling the Sheraton Ferncroft Resort. This is David, How may I assist you?

Guest: shouting: IS THIS COCO KEY WEST.

Me: ...... no sir, this is the Sheraton Ferncroft Hotel. would you like to be transferred to our Water Resort?

Guest: No, I just need the address. Do ya'll have rooms available?

Me: Yes we do. For a rate of $___ you can get a room with four passes to the water resort.

Guest: Great! What is your address.

Me: 50 Ferncroft Road.

Guest:.... 50 what road?

Me: FERNCROFT. Same as the hotel.

Guest: .....well how do you spell that??

Me: F-E-R-N....

Guest: S-E-R-N...

Me: No sir, it's F. F as in Frank.

Guest: S as in What???

Me: F as in Frank. E-R-N-C-R-O-F-T

Guest: Okay, thank you!

A few minutes pass. Shortly after the guest calls again, slightly irritated.

Guest: THIS STREET DOES NOT EXIST. It's not in my GPS.

Me: That's strange sir I do apologize. Would you like directions?

Guest: Is this a new street? What else is there?

Me: No it's been here a while. The Sheraton Ferncroft is across from the Ferncroft Country Club and Ferncroft Tower...

Guest: So it's S-E-R-N-C-R-O-S-T right?

Me: speechless: F AS IN Frank!-E as in Elephant!-R as in road!-N as in Nancy!-C as in Cat!-R as in Road!-O as in Octopus!-F as in FRANK!-T as in TOM!

Guest: Oh............. Ok.

a few moments pass. my coworker answers the phone.

Coworker: ........... no sir it's f-E-r-n...... yes. road.....number 50....see you soon.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love customers.

Real (slightly paraphrased but mostly accurate) dialogue from a conversation I had at work.

Me: Are you ladies ready to order?
Woman: I'll have a hamburger.
Me: How would you like that cooked?
Woman: Medium. With cheese.
Me: We have American, provolone, and Swiss.
Woman: Umm... I dunno.
Me: Which would you prefer?
Woman: Cheddar.
Me: I'm sorry, but we don't have cheddar. We have American, provolone, and Swiss cheese.
Woman: Umm I dunno, a cheese that tastes good?
Me: Well which cheese would you prefer?
Woman: Uhhh. A cheese that tastes good?

I eventually got her to say a kind of cheese, but I was about to beat her over the head.

Unknown said...

My favorite conversation at a store was when I worked at AC Moore with Sarah V. and Brittany. The woman asked Sarah, but I was nearby and overheard it. (Remember, AC Moore is an arts and crafts store.)

(Lady walks up to Sarah)
Sarah: May I help you miss?
Lady: Yes, where are your tampons?
Sarah: I´m sorry?
Lady: Your tampons. Where can I find them.
Sarah: Uh..miss this is an arts and crafts store.
Lady: So? You don´t carry tampons?
Sarah: No miss. I don´t know what you do with your tampons, but we don´t sell them here.
Lady: Ok.....thanks I guess.

I had to do everything I could to not yell "Try Best Buy!" lol.